presidents * aren't * perfect

5/14/09

President Review: James Buchanan

What would you say if you were one of the country's worst presidents? No need to ponder that question, because a real-life example exists for us to marvel at. James Buchanan often gets the nod as one of the worst presidents, and perhaps it's well deserved. Under Buchanan's leadership, the country slipped into a terrible economic recession. In addition, he was ineffective at preventing states from eventually seceding from the Union. He sat idly while slavery spread into the western territories. He gets a lot of blame for the Civil War. He also sported a very bad haircut. All told, a dismal performance while in the White House. Buchanan knew that he was judged harshly. His excuse is a shocker: "Whatever the results may be, I shall carry to my grave the consciousness that I at least meant well for my country."

0 comments:

Archive

About Me

My photo
Yep, I'm getting to be an expert on presidential blunders. Hell, I wrote a book about one of the biggest. If you want to nominate one, or if you want to yell at me, send email to prezblog@gmail.com.